Heritage Ambassadors Jack and Eva played the hosting roles of Allan Macpherson and his wife, Adolphustown Loyalist settler Mary Fisher Macpherson, at a special museum open house and autumn exhibit of fibre arts in Napanee on October 19th, 2013. Macpherson House was built in the late 1820s in the fashionable Georgian style of the day. Allan Macpherson was a prominent merchant and community leader.
Carolyn’s nautical 1880s ensemble was showcased on September 27th/28th, 2013, with seven other recreated period fashions. The design work of three HAOK clothing construction artists (Britta, Carolyn and Sarah) was exhibited in the fundraising Art for Heritage show and sale in support of the architectural preservation at St. George’s Cathedral, Kingston’s most beautiful 19thC landmark. More photos under Projects.
Eva and Jack were attired as 1793 United Empire Loyalist farm folk in their Sunday best at the 220th anniversary celebration at historic Fairfield House in Amherstview on August 17th. A feature article and photo appeared afterwards in the Napanee Beaver. Fairfield House was acquired from the St. Lawrence Parks Commission by Loyalist Township in 1998.
The HAOK is pleased to welcome new members from Brockville, Rosemarie and Stewart. They offer many splendidly recreated clothing ensembles and enjoy presenting interactive displays around favourite historical themes. Stewart is an expert in military history and Rosemarie has developed a wonderful exhibit around domestic household practices. Welcome aboard!
A new version of Phantom of the Opera being filmed around Kingston required movie extras in formal evening attire, in masquerade party style, on August 11th. Lee and Britta responded to the occasion. The party scene was staged at the Renaissance Event Venue. Anthony Mann was the director and producer.
Five Heritage Ambassadors were invited to participate in the 130th anniversary of Glanmore House National Historic Site in Belleville on July 7th. The garden party attire represented the late 1880s and 1890s. The house was built in 1883 for J.P.C. Phillips and has been preserved as a fine example of the Second Empire style popular in late Victorian times.
Michael and Lee served as Confederate Civil War re-enactors (10th Louisiana Regiment, Company C) at the 150th anniversary of the famous battle, July 4th to 7th. There were 18,000 re-enactors and close to 300,000 visitors. The CBC TV news network featured a story about the many participating Canadians on The National.
The HAOK continued its affiliation with Salon Theatre Productions and the Macdonald Bicentennial Commission this summer, offering the making of more historical costumes. The young actors serve every summer as musical raconteurs about Kingston’s most famous citizen, Sir John A. Macdonald. They sang O Canada on the steps of City Hall on July 1st.
55 international representatives from Ottawa’s Diplomatic Hospitality Group visited Kingston on June 13th. The HAOK helped to plan the itinerary, which included a greeting by the Mayor, dining at Fort Henry, mini-lectures by prominent historians and curators, and a bus tour of key heritage sites. Eva was the costumed hostess for the day. (Photo by Ulle Baum)
Kingston’s City Hall proved to be an excellent location for taking indoor photos of historical clothing styles. Thanks go to our City Curator and Cultural Services. Carolyn wears her recreated ensemble from the Regency period. Commemorations around the War of 1812 (to 1814) continue in our region. Note: City Hall was built later, in 1843.